Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Philip Treacy











For our FIT class, we had to present a product/service available in the UK we wished was available in New York too and decide on how we would market it in the US. I hesitate for long since I had difficulties to find something available and enviable in London that we don’t have in New York; I sometimes feel one can find anything there. I finally decided on what I think couldn’t be more British: Philip Treacy the “master” of the so famous British hats that can traditionally be seen on the British royal family or at British weddings. I was lucky to discover the designer when picking up samples at his little amazing boutique. I decided not only to market what I would say is in the UK a luxurious well-marketed hat “brand” that amazed me, but the (so far “cultural”) concept of wearing hats during events of importance (weddings, funerals, public representations). Maybe I was somewhat influenced by the movie “Sex & the City,” but I found in it something “fabulous”; from the little boutique to the hats themselves Philip Treacy makes one dream of another more glamorous time. Discovered and supported by Isabella Blow at the time, the talented hat designer has designed for the greatest including Karl Lagerfeld at Chanel, Valentino, Gianni Versace and Alexander McQueen at Givenchy. With Philip Treacy “Glamour is the ultimate accessory.”

No comments:

Post a Comment